Friday 11 January 2013

1. Where I'm Coming From



Bringing The Living To Life (BTLTL) is a working title for a series of blogs on reading the Scriptures imaginatively. When I was a young child I began kindergarten at a Methodist Sunday School down the street. The only family connection with Methodism I know of is that two of my maternal great-grandparents are buried in the ‘Primitive Methodist’ section of a country cemetery! Perhaps it was simply that my loving parents, both products of ‘mixed’ marriages, thought, like so many others, it might be good for me and give me a basic religious background rather than just a blank! But within a year or two of my beginning there, the church of which the S.S. was part was torn down! Had I been more aware than we normally are at that age, I might have asked one of those deep questions of life: ‘What did I do to cause that?’
Soon after, we moved house and again I was sent to another nearby Methodist S. S.  When we moved again (W.W.2 was raging by now, and there was a lot of moving going on) I was sent to yet another S.S. only to find, puzzlingly, that it was my original one re-built on a new site! Its resurrection there played its part in my own journey of being brought to life.
Each of those three churches with its S.S. symbolises change and challenge in life.  Church No.1 moved to what was seen to be more fruitful ground. Church No.2 was found to be surplus to the needs of the new Uniting Church and taken over by another denomination. No.3 (No.1 resurrected) too was found to be surplus to the U.C’s  needs and became a mosque! Moving on can have surprising consequences! 
 I’ll always be grateful to those good Methodists and their S.Ss. for giving me a sound grounding in biblical stories. Though I now understand many of them differently from the face-value approach I took as a young child, these are the stories I have grown up with and grown into and hope to explore in BTLTL. They represent a stage I’ve now reached in understanding key parts of the Scriptures, starting  with the Hebrew 'Older Testament' (O.T.). I am still finding new life in the stories, as I believe anyone can. Even those who don’t know the stories at all, or only vaguely remember them, as well as those to whom they’re long 'dead and buried' or simply in the 'too hard basket' is welcome to take the risk of opening those graves or baskets, and give the stories a chance to live again. Church Home Groups and ‘Bible Study’ groups may also find seeds of new life in them.  
The title ‘Bringing The Living To Life’ comes from Charles Causley's 'Ballad of the Breadman' [1] in which he imaginatively distils the essence of Jesus. Causley invites us to look at Jesus more imaginatively than we often do, so we, too, become as fully alive to God as Jesus is. I take him to be not too subtly suggesting Jesus raising Lazarus from death in the Christian 'Newer Testament' (N.T.) is a sign it might be easier for God to bring the physically dead to life than some living spiritually dead! So BTLTL aims at bringing those Hebrew people of old and their Scriptures to life and us with them. But that’s another story…
1] 'The Sun Dancing', ed. Charles Causley, Kestrel, Harmondsworth, England, 1982 p.132.

No comments:

Post a Comment